Following these handy tips, issued by the Isle of Wight Crime and Disorder Reduction Partnership (www.saferwight.org ), can help keep your bike safe. The IOW CDRP will be at the launch of the Cycle Festival offering a free bike wrap service (security marking the bicycle using a robust sticky wrap)
* Always secure bicycles to a stand if available. Otherwise use a static object such as a lamp post or railing.
* Secure your bicycle with a good quality cycle lick. Details of reputable companies can be found on www.soldsecure.com
* Marking the bicycle with your postcode and house number acts as a deterrent to theft and assists the police with identifying recovered property.
* Register your bike at www.immobilise.com
* Quick release accessories are vulnerable. Consider replacing the lever with a security bolt or remove them when leaving the bicycle.
* Lights are made detachable so remove them before a thief does.
* Keep a note of the bicycle frame number. This will aid identification should the cycle be recovered by the police.
* Store a digital photo of the bicycle in a safe place, such evidence is key when police recover property.
For further information on Cycle Theft prevention please visit the Home Office website http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/crime-victims/how-you-can-prevent-crime/cycle-theft/.